The fortress of Châlucet is one of the major heritage sites of the Haute-Vienne and Limousin areas. It was listed as a historical monument in the 19th century at the initiative of Prosper Mérimée.
The first castle (castrum) was founded around 1100. During the 13th century, it was divided into two fortifications: Upper and Lower Châlucet (Haut and Bas Châlucet).
While Lower Châlucet remained a manor jointly managed by several lineages of knights, Upper Châlucet underwent extensive modification around 1270 - 1280 with the creation of a new castle in the middle of it.
The Département of Haute-Vienne is the owner of Châlucet’s ruins and of the Ligoure Forest Park estate.
Almost 20 years ago it launched a huge programme to protect and upgrade the site, combining archaeological digs and consolidation work to make this a high-quality cultural and tourism attraction.